January 24, 2010

Glassy Eyed

Three weeks and too many computer hours later I am finished with my on-line class. I took a class on methods of teaching English as a second language. Very applicable. Other than feeling like my eyes are going to fall out of my head, it was a good experience. Our final project was to critique an already existing unit. I actually used a unit I had written during my student teaching six years ago. It was very interesting to go back and critique my own work, to see how my teaching has changed with my experiences of the past few years. With such a short class, I would wonder how much one might retain, except that I have the opportunity to implement the material daily in my classroom. It was a good class--but I am not totally sad to say it is over. A little more time for the usual things.

Last weekend I was in St. Louis for a "Nun Run"/Come and See Weekend (yes, family, I was in town--I knew I wouldn't get to see you all, sorry). We had four full-time and two part-time discerners with us journey from the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Help to the Poor Clares to our place by Sunday. We ate lots of pizza and ice cream (the one thing we would change upon evaluation, although it was definitely delicious), had some great prayer and sharing, and even got to bed at a decent hour. I had never been in a cloistered convent like the Poor Clares before. We had to meet with the sisters behind the grill (okay, so I didn't mention that I was in town, but aren't you glad that you don't have to meet with me four times a year behind a metal grill?). While I know that is not my calling (mostly due to the fact that the sisters maintain a perpetual fast), it was fun to hear the stories, see the sisters tease each other, and really, I guess, to realize that we have more in common than I would have thought. I hate some of the stereotypes that people have of sisters, but I have to say, I held many myself going into that setting. My favorite memory of the weekend was coming out of the Poor Clares and immediately snacking with the group on the hood of my car. I think just the idea of a perpetual fast was enough to make my stomach growl.

Now I'm sitting here watching the Saints and Vikings, folding laundry, preparing myself for the week ahead. I can't believe this is the last week of January already. I'll be in Jackson three of the next four weekends for various things--personal, church, and vocational. One of the weekends is our youth convention, so I'm sure I'll have pictures to share after that. Happy continued new year.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite was eating snacks on the car hood also! Nothing like just thinking of a fast to make you SUPER hungary! lol

    Kristen Franke

    ReplyDelete

Comments