October 31, 2007

Good Stuff

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! While Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, and my family back home is preparing for yet another huge Spookfest event, the day here will be relatively quiet. It is Wednesday, so we will have dinner at Sarah's. There was this mystery box of turkey in the freezer here that was labeled, "mechanically separated turkey," that we are supposed to use. Until I defrosted it, I still wasn't sure exactly what form the meat was in. I think I'll do a turkey loaf. It should work.
This morning I did carve a pumpkin, quite scary, and I'll be sure to eat some Halloween candy of some kind before the evening is over.
My class last night was very good. It was on the universe story. One of the pieces that was articulated in such a meaningful way for me was an interpretation of the beginning of John's gospel: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." In recognizing the presence of God in all things from the beginning, from the very moment of creation, I can see God incarnate through this moment. Sr. Roseanne who presented last night brought some absolutely beautiful children's books depicting the new cosmology. In it the universe is personified and tells her story to us earthlings. The illustrations are awesome. I think it might have to be a series for which I ask Santa this Christmas to have to use in my classrooom in the future.
Anyway, I am including in this posting some photos from Sarah's. It is such a beautiful, peaceful, and safe home for the women here.

Right inside the front entrance.

Flags of all of the countries from which women at Sarah's have come.
The chapel--set up for women of any faith to worship. I love the rose tint with which the stained glass windows cover the room.

Have a spooky, fun night.


--Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful surroundings! That alone could be a motivator for these women to think positive about some goals for themselves.... Realistic, but reaching for the stars sort of thing.

    My Halloween was quiet once I got home. But you should have a copy of the lunch menu from Carondelet! You know how creative those folks can get! Think about "Bat Dropping Soup," for starters! Mummy loaf was meat loaf with a thin "wrapping" of mashed potatoes. The "fingers" were hot dogs with fingernails sort of carved out of one end.... You get the idea! Have fun.
    --Pat M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah's House looks like such a beautiful place. I love the chapel.
    We're looking forward to seeing you at Carondelet around Thanksgiving.
    Love,
    Mary Ann H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah!
    This is Sr. Katy from Milwaukee...we met at St. Therese last February! I really enjoy keeping up with your blog. Your experiences at Sarah House are very interesting; it sounds like a great way to experience your apostolic year.

    I was thinking of you in particular because Giving Voice is having a special gathering of Women Religious under 40 in January. Our topic is very exciting...we're looking for "new faces" to join us. I'd love to tell you more about it...if you're interested.

    Keep up the great work, Sarah. Thanks for sharing your adventures!
    Peace,
    Katy (the Franciscan)

    ReplyDelete

Comments